Some of the conservation treatments that we carry out :
- Dry cleaning to reduce superficial dirt
- Washing to reduce acidity and to prepare the paper for further conservation.
- De-acidification to combat acid deterioration, both present and future.
- Mending of tears and brittle paper reinforcement by backing with museum-grade tissue.
- Filling areas of paper loss with suitable papers.
- Consolidation of flaking or insecure media and removal of mould.
- Retouching areas of lost media.
- Tape and stain reduction.
- Storage and mounting.
- Advice on old and new frames.
When a number of treatments are possible, those alternatives are discussed, as each venture is assessed individually. This is a bespoke service but there is usually more than one way to approach a project and we are always pleased to discuss a course of action best suited to your resources and the objects needs.
Some of the common causes that will damage paper are:
Physical Damage : Tears, Folds, Cockles, Dirt, Paper Losses, Water Staining.
Chemical damage: Inherent Acid degradation, Foxing, Moulds, Light Damage, Pollution, Poor Quality Storage and mounts.